Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Found: 16th century optical illusion

"The Ambassadors" by Hans Holbein the Younger

After searching for the artist name and painting title on the National Gallery's online archives, I found it!

Prof Williams led me to a prime viewing area for this painting... I was in a far right corner, at the same plane as the painting. As our guide was talking, he asked the class what the big blob was. I was confused because I didn't see a blob... I saw a skull! After he told said it was a skull, everyone rearranged in different positions to see different perspectives. I thought it was so cool that Hans Holbein the Younger painted such a neat optical illusion.

But... no postcard of this one either :(

2 comments:

  1. Wondering if the optical illusion would still be there on a postcard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you held the postcard at the right angle, you would see a skull. And you wouldn't have to move around the room.

    ReplyDelete