Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Garden party: invitation only

Lined up and ready to go! (This is only one of the three enormous lines leading up to the Palace gates)

This afternoon, I was walking to Buckingham Palace when I noticed a large amount of very nicely dressed people walking around. Curious, I ducked into a store and asked what was going on. The saleslady told me there was a garden party today in Buckingham Palace.

Guards at the gate were carefully checking invitations


I knew a little about the exclusive get togethers from Britt, but wanted to learn more... what I found: Garden parties consist of around 8,000 or 9,000 guests from various organizations. They can be chosen or nominated by the group as representatives. Britt said special or important deeds can also give a more common person an invite. During the garden party, there is a band playing and the Royal Family does a "meet and greet" to guests through various and winding lanes.

I have never seen so many hats...

The dress code is rather fancy. Men wear suits, and women wear either dresses or skirts and some kind of head gear. Today was rainy, so many accessorized with an umbrella!

.. Or so many feathers!


The chosen were led beyond the outer doors of the Palace


A particularly cute couple (military uniform or national dress is also acceptable dress)


I believe the man on the left is the definition of "dapper"

I people-watched for a rather long time and was quite intrigued by the people who were granted access. I think my invitation must have gotten lost in the mail... maybe next time!

3 comments:

  1. Wish I could have been there! Better than looking at any fashion magazine:) Will any of you be bringing home any hats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lib, This is a great post! London dress and millinery shops must love it when the invites go out for a Royal garden party!
    Aunt Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. No hats... but I did pick up a feathery headband!
    And yes, the area was definitely buzzing!

    ReplyDelete